The Century Council’s office is located in the Washington DC area; which is a unique opportunity to appreciate the full experience of the Memorial Day holiday weekend. It’s a time to celebrate, honor and remember loved ones who have lost their lives to protect our American way of life.
This weekend will be full of visits to Arlington Cemetery and the war memorials on the National Mall to honor the fallen, BBQs to celebrate the warmth of summer and patriotic flags waving to show national pride. In addition to good food, friends and fun, be sure your Memorial Day celebrations include good decisions.
If you choose to drink alcohol, please do so responsibly. Learn how alcohol affects your body and your driving skills. Call a cab or designate a driver. And if you’re underage, the only good decision is not to drink alcohol. In 2010, 40% of traffic fatalities over Memorial Day weekend involved impaired driving. Include safe driving in your celebrations so that we can save lives this Memorial Day. Here’s the top 5 tips for staying safe this weekend:
- Be Aware: Know how alcohol affects your body and driving skills, with B4UDrink
- Plan a safe ride home – Designate a driver or call a cab
- Always wear your seat belt and be sure kids are secured in the back seat with appropriate child safety seats
- Avoid distractions such as texting or eating while driving
- Obey all rules of the road – they’re not suggestions.