WASHINGTON, DC— This month, The Century Council, funded by distillers: Bacardi U.S.A., Inc.; Beam Global Spirits & Wine, Inc.; Brown-Forman; Constellation Brands, Inc.; DIAGEO; Hood River Distillers, Inc.; Pernod Ricard USA; and Sidney Frank Importing Co., Inc., celebrates twenty years of fighting drunk driving and underage drinking. While we cannot lay claim to all the progress our nation has made, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities have decreased by 32 percent and underage drinking has declined 49 percent since The Century Council’s inception in 1991. The Century Council attributes its success to the commitment of our member companies, partners, National Advisory Board, and the millions of teachers, parents, and kids across the country that use and share our programs.
Among the countless Americans who work tirelessly to make our nation a better place to live and work, The Century Council has identified 20 individuals who have committed their careers and lives to our country’s youth, health, safety, and fostering lasting, positive change. Our “20 People to Watch” will be an exciting group to follow as we look to the future. Between February and October, video segments of each of our “20 People to Watch” will be released on our website. Four “People to Watch” have already been announced:
- Stephen Talpins, CEO and Chairman of the Board for the National Partnership on Alcohol Misuse and Crime (NPAMC);
- Apolo Anton Ohno, Short Track Speed Skater and Eight-Time Olympic Medalist;
- Julie Foudy, Former Captain of the USA Women’s Soccer Team and Olympic Medalist;
- U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte, R-NH
The Century Council website also includes a “Timeline of Progress eZine” which celebrates important milestones over The Century Council’s 20 years including:
- Programs for middle school through college students and their parents: Ready or Not: Talking with Kids About Alcohol; Ask Listen Learn: Kids and Alcohol Don’t Mix; Brandon Silveria Tells His Story; Alcohol 101 for High School Seniors; Alcohol 101 Plus; Promising Practices; Parents, You’re Not Done Yet; and our most recent action on numerous campuses nationwide: Stop College Binge Drinking;
- Groundbreaking partnerships with organizations such as: National Middle School Association, American School Counselor Association, National Judicial College, Governors Highway Safety Association, and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, that helped create award winning programs and distribute them to parents, students, teachers, and safety professionals across America;
- B4udrink.org and b4udrink.mobi – a program designed to educate users about how alcohol affects an individual’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC);
- Resources, publications, and research for law enforcement, the judiciary, and prosecutors: Cops in Shops; Hardcore Drunk Driving Sourcebook (updated three times); Hardcore Drunk Driving Judicial Guide; Hardcore Drunk Driving Prosecutorial Guide; Hardcore Drunk Driving Community Supervision Guide;
- Providing relevant resources for research and statistics monitoring.
“We are very proud of the work we have done over the last 20 years to eliminate drunk driving and underage drinking. Since The Century Council’s inception, the drop in alcohol-impaired driving fatalities and underage drinking motivates our team and our partners to continue to work even harder to make America a safer place,” said Susan Molinari, Chairman of The Century Council.
To learn more about all of The Century Council’s drunk driving and underage drinking initiatives, please visit our website.
The Century Council
The Century Council is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to fighting drunk driving and underage drinking and is funded by the following distillers: Bacardi U.S.A., Inc.; Beam Global Spirits & Wine, Inc.; Brown-Forman; Constellation Brands, Inc.; DIAGEO; Hood River Distillers, Inc.; Pernod Ricard USA; and Sidney Frank Importing Co., Inc. Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and chaired by Susan Molinari, The Century Council is a leader in the fight to eliminate drunk driving and underage drinking and promotes responsible decision making regarding beverage alcohol. The Century Council develops and implements innovative programs and public awareness campaigns and promotes action through strategic partnerships. Established in 1991, The Century Council’s initiatives are highlighted on its website at www.centurycouncil.org.
Jessica Lepak, The Century Council
firstname.lastname@example.org, or (202) 637-0077