ARLINGTON, VA--Celebrating its 20th Anniversary, The Century Council, a national not-for-profit organization funded by distillers, is honoring leaders who have shown an outstanding commitment to fighting drunk driving and underage drinking and promoting healthy lifestyles and teen driver safety.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 10,839 alcohol-impaired traffic fatalities in 2009, with 1,265 of them being persons between the ages of 12 and 20. Understanding the scope of this national problem, this year’s award recipients joined The Century Council to combat drunk driving and underage drinking.
Seventeen state legislators from across the nation are being recognized for their ongoing dedication:
- Alabama Representative Mike Hill (R-41) and Senators Bill Holtzclaw (R-2) and Rusty Glover (R-34)
- Arizona Senator Linda Gray (R-10)
- Colorado Representative Tom Massey (R-60)
- Delaware Representative Helene M. Keeley (D-3) and Senate Majority Leader Patricia M. Blevins (D-7)
- Florida Representative Tom Goodson (R-29) and Senator Thad Altman (R-24)
- Maryland Delegate Kathleen M. Dumais (D-15)
- Mississippi Senator David Blount (D-29) and Representative Richard Bennett (R-120)
- Montana Senator Larry Jent (D-32)
- North Dakota Representative George J. Keiser (R-47)
- Pennsylvania Representative Katharine M. Watson (R-144)
- Virginia Senator David W. Marsden (D-37) and Delegate W.R. “Bill” Janis (R-56)
The Century Council, which has been at the front of the fight against drunk driving and underage drinking since its inception 20 years ago, is a not-for-profit organization funded by distillers including: Bacardi U.S.A., Inc.; Beam Global Spirits & Wine, Inc., Brown-Forman; Constellation Brands, Inc.; DIAGEO; Hood River Distillers, Inc.; Pernod Ricard USA and Sidney Frank Importing Co., Inc. Through legislation, education, and public awareness campaigns, The Century Council is a leader in the fight against drunk driving and underage drinking and promotes responsible decision making regarding beverage alcohol.